Over 200 Disability Support Workers (DSWs) from across Australia descended on the Brisbane Convention Centre last week for the annual Disability Support Workers Conference.
DSWs are arguably the most in-demand employee across Australia at the moment. Estimates suggest the number of people providing support to people with disabilities will need to have doubled by the time the NDIS reaches full rollout.
We saw a lot of note-taking, even more networking, heard important questions being answered; but most of all saw people make lasting connections and learn invaluable information to help them in their daily tasks, and their career!
Here’s some of the highlights:
• 15 keynote speakers from a range of backgrounds
• 21 industry-led workshops on current issues, including mental health, community dynamics, safety and the value of mentors.
• Panel discussions with end-users, advocates and allied health experts
• Countless opportunities to network with colleagues and industry leaders
Here are some key takeaways:
• You’re in the right industry! There are so many opportunities for DSWs right now
• Find yourself a mentor. Mentors can teach you new skills and help you in the next journey of your career.
• Self-advocacy is important for our clients and we can help them with this.
• There are some shocking statistics about abuse and neglect, but we can look out for the signs and be leaders to stop this from happening.
• Ask your client questions and don’t just assume! By asking ‘why?’ you’ll learn a lot about why your client enjoys something and it might just change how you organise things in the future
We hope you enjoyed the Conference and learnt a lot! We certainly did!
Tickets for the 2020 Disability Support Workers Conference are on sale now!
Thank you to all our sponsors who make the Disability Support Workers Conference possible. We couldn’t do it without you.
• CPL – Choice, Passion, Life
• National Disability Services
• Black and White Cabs
• ClubMates Travel
• Hays Recruiting
• AMC Training and Consulting